Tuesday 15 January 2008

Seven hungry savages

A hundred hairy savages, A hundred hairy savages,
Sitting down to lunch, Sitting down to lunch,
Gobble, Gobble, Gobble. Gobble, Gobble, Gobble
Munch, Munch, Munch! Munch, Munch, Munch!

I'm hungry!! So far today I've eaten a bowl of cereal and piece of toast (which sounds reasonable, but I had an hour-and-a-bit of training before hand!) a bowl of pasta and a rather significant amount of Christmas cake. I justify this on the basis that said cake is about 10 inches wide. So when you cut a slice it's 10 inches long. And it needs to be about a centimetre thick in order to prevent it from crumbling. So I tend to bring the whole lot with me and then I can snack throughout the day / eat it over several days as it keeps really well. But still I have the hunger. Today was the first training session of term and I'm beginning to regret letting myself get fat and lazy over Christmas. We didn't really train much last term, too busy getting all the freshers settled in and now I'm paying for it!

I finally had the meeting with my superviser about my project, which - thankfully - was only half as long as the one with my tutor and actually related to what I've written rather than the style I've written it in. (Although that said he, unlike my tutor, doesn't think I should sacrifice my grammar for the sake of readability. I refuse to end a sentence with a preposition just to cut the length.)

The essay is still going nowhere - I swear I've been given the wrong reading list. Some of the unrelated papers were actually quite interesting: but then I started to read a related one and remembered how dull it was *yawn*. I might have to just get my ass on Google Scholar or ISI and try to find some relevant material myself :(

Oh and as if my day wasn't great enough, I have an ulcer, and my lectuer over-ran by THIRTY-FIVE minutes so I was late for the meeting with my tutor. Then I went outside and saw somebody had knocked my bike over in the mud, so I had muddly handles and my chain shifted. Unfortunately I didn't realise this until I jumped off the pavement to right-turn in front of oncoming traffic.

However counter to how the above may sound, I'm not in a bad mood... just tired and grumpy. It's stopped raining so at least there are small blessings!!

No comments: