Tuesday 22 January 2008

Misunderstandings

I can't believe it's only 2 days since I last blogged! I've had a couple of things going round and round that I wanted to write about, but I'm back in dissertation hell (now about 500 words over the limit too *gulp* and, bizarrely, soon after I started to think about this I encountered a rather vitriolic debate on the same topic on a forum I read, which made me a bit sad and confused and... yeh it got put to one side.

It troubles me, that the actions of a minority influence people's views of the majority: that people view all Christians as nut-jobs, evangelists, and rejectors of science. The way I understand it this is more-so the case in the US than here, but after some of the things I've read this is worrying me a touch. I think that there are a lot of aspects of Christianity that people fail to understand. Most of the atheists I know take a "well clearly it's rubbish" approach that surprises me. How can somebody accuse me of being irrational for believing in something that surrounds me every day of my life, while simultaneously having no knowledge of that phenomenon. They reject it from first principles without even trying to understand what it is we believe or why we believe it. So I'm thinking I need to write a few posts about some of these common misconceptions, and what the Christian viewpoint on them actually is.

No comments: