Saturday 12 January 2008

I am reading a children's book: a fantasy children's book (in the vein of Harry Potter or Philip Pullman... although I'm never entirely sure that Northern Lights is meant to be for children, or if it's just about them), but a children's book none the less. Despite this, I am actually rather proud of myself. This is the probably the first time since beginning university that I have successfully retained the ability to read during term time. Granted, it's only January 12th so I suppose the real test will come in around about the beginning of February. But bearing in mind that I can happily knock off 500 pages in a day during the holiday it serves as great disappointment that I can't at least find 20 minutes in a day to read normally. So if children's books are the only thing simple enough to get into then I shall read children's books.

That's not to say that I have no time - or else I wouldn't be blogging would I?! It's just that when I do have time I play with Facebook, or I watch House or Scrubs or Grey's Anatomy (hmmm I sense a theme...) or I go sit in my kitchen until Flatmate decides he needs a break and offers me a ginger biscuit (this is one of our strange rituals). Besides which there's alwayst that wonderful trick of looking at a paper and vaguely highlighting it while not really reading it... And a significant amount of time goes on idle strumming of the guitar.

So I'm really not sure why it should be that I can't find the time to read. But this will be a New Years Resolution I feel - to keep reading!!

No comments: