Wednesday 9 January 2008

How it all began...

So I started thinking today... or yesterday... or maybe last week... I'm not sure. But I started thinking: and what I thought was "I'm in the most stressful year of my degree, at probably one of the most stressful universities in the country, and it sucks having nobody to talk to it about. I haven't kept a diary since I was 16 and life became to complicated to fit on a page, but wouldn't it be great to start again?" So now I have.

I figure there must be tonnes of people out there in the ether all going through the same thing. It's your last year in university. You're stressed as hell. Some days it feels like you're barely going to scrape the 2i that will make your degree worth having. (This annoys me: what's the point in having 4 classes if only the top 2 are considered useful). Other days you're torn between going for that 1st you once got on a single essay that you wrote in an inspired 4am Relentless-fuelled marathon and actually having a life in your final year. Then you remember that nobody has fun in their final year, and that if it's going to suck you may as well make the most of it sucking and do the best you can.

The worst bit of this is that everybody around you is doing the same. Especially here. That has its benefits. It means that by the beginning of April I will be unable to find somebody to go to the pub with. It means that I'm unlikely to spend my 21st birthday in a ditch: which is surely how every newly-21-ed person should spend the night? It means that when it all gets too much people do understand. But it also means that when I say "AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!" They respond with "Yeah, I know." When what I really want is for them to sit quietly and nod in the right places while I rant about how little sleep I've had; and how I now have permanent back ache because my poor posture, combined with hunching over a library desk is killing my back; and how I have no idea how to get my thesis from something that "I wouldn't recommend you hand in" to what it should be: which is extra marks I don't need to worry about come the summer exams.

So that's what this blog is for I guess. The Life of a Finalist. I can rant: and maybe you can join in. Perhaps it will be cleansing. :)

No comments: