Thursday 13 March 2008

Why sport?

So why is it that 3 days out of 4 so far this week I've been to the gym or to the pool? What's the point?

(NB this is hypothetical - the gym is my heaven!)

I went to this How to survive Finals talk thing and something they said was that people who do excercise on average do better in their final exams. There are obvious links - being awake, endorphines, stress relief etc. But I reckon there's another reason.

Of the 10 people working in the lower room of my rather nice library (I told you it was exclusive!) three are people who I've at one time or another trained with. One is a cox, which means all the early starts and missing out on nights out, even if there's no physical exertion involved!

The only people likely to still be excercising the week before finals are people who've played sport at a relatively high level or have been effectively gym addicts for the last 2.5 years. Everybody else will have given up. That means that those people who are doing well in exams - they're not just people doing excercise, they're people who have pushed themselves and had to develop some discipline. There comes a point when you're in the gym at 6am and it's not about pleasure it's about progress.

The way I see it, developing that kind of discipline has got to have some kind of reflection on your work life right? I like this little theory... :)

No comments: