Tuesday 18 March 2008

Judgmental

I'm beginning to think I'm a rather judgmental person.

It's not a character trait that I like.

Not in the general sort of way. I don't judge people based on their lifestyle choices, and especially not on their religion (but that's a whole new post: reasons why I don't evangelise).
So where DO I judge people? In the gym.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not perfect. I'm not as thin as I should be; I'm not as muscley; and I can't run for as long or as fast as I'd like. But then that's part of the problem. In much the same way that psychologists have been telling us for years that the things we detest most in others are often our own worst faults, I judge others for the biggest problems that I have overcome.
There are mainly two things, although a minor third:

Firstly, I judge people who don't go to the gym until I am leaving. Going to the gym in the afternoon or evening is just fine - it's scheduled. But if, as I am leaving the gym at 8:40 you are just arriving then clearly you're either lazy or you have nothing to be doing. I judge them because I got up at half 6 to be at the gym when it opens (yeh student gyms don't open before 7) and I judge them because I know they won't be in the library at 9am. Now of course you could judge me for only being in the gym for an hour and 15 mins, but I would pointout that that's all I can manage in between opening and library time and unless I start working at 7 and go to the gym in the evening then there's no other option.


Similarly I judge people who just finish really really early. The other day I was swimming behind this REALLY slow woman. Now I was quite tired so didn't really feel like getting in the middle lane (although later I did - finished a mile in 45 minutes and was very proud!) but she was going so slowly. Now I got in the pool sometime between 7:10 and 7:15 and by 7:25 we'd done 14 lenghts. Like I said - slow. But then at 7:25 she got out!! Now even assuming she was in the pool the minute it opened at 7 she must have swum for a maximum of 25 minutes, and going at about a length a minute, that means realistically she didn't swim more than 500m. What is the point in that?! I can see people who knock off a quick 1k and are out by 7:30 or shortly after, but if you're a slow swimmer then why swim for such a short period of time?!

Secondly, I judge people who can't stick on machines. I get bored really easily, which is why I often work out to spoken tapes or musicals (a bizarre but interesting habit I recommend you take up - very good for very long very boring ergs or runs). So it's taken me a long time to be able to last for a decent amount of time on a treadmill. If I'm splitting my time in the gym 2 or 3 ways (so probably doing maybe 30 mins on a treadmill) and 10 mins in somebody comesand joins me, and then they get off before I'm done then I judge them. Because I'm judging myself for only being able to run for 30 minutes. And I judge them for being not even as good as I am!
I guess it's like the syndrom of women with low self esteem who pick bastards as boyfriends. Because "If a guy likes a loser like me, he can't possibly be any good, right? Schmuck." If they're not as good as me, then they must be crap.

The last thing I judge people for is bad technique, although to a lesser extent. I know there's a lot of uni athletes in the gym so sometimes it's embarassing to ask for help. Which is exactly why I don't do free weights. So I don't judge too much. But when I see people rowing really really badly I just think, at any one time there are at least 2 serious rowers on those machines. Surely you can see what you're doing is wrong? Just copy them!!!

So yeh... rant over... What do you judge people in the gym for?

No comments: