Tuesday 22 April 2008

Library Low-Down

Well it's starting to get a bit hectic - I've just taken an unscheduled break because the atmosphere in this place is a bit of a nightmare. Everyone's back now - including random errant freshers who think they have a hope in hell of getting a desk...


New Girl is in there every morning at 8. To begin with I just thought she was beating me in slightly - maybe getting there at 5 to 9 or just plain on time, as I've been 5 or 10 minutes late recently. But when I came in super early to get some work done (before 8!!) she turned up bang on the dot of 8. Some people are just crazy


Panicky guy works the longest hours of anybody. One of the girls in the library is obviously his flat mate - apparently he doesn't come home until 1 in the morning some nights. I knew he was working late (sometimes I go on until 10 when I'm staying at OtherHalf's) but this is really a whole new level


Stressy makes a big huff any time anybody gets up to get anything or go to the loo or something. She comes in late (10 or even 11) and leaves early (4 or 5 most days) but while she's in the library she's chained to her desk, and boy does she make a fuss if other people make noise. Despite this, she doesn't put her phone on silent, and she answers it and then walks out of the library.


Rugby guy likes to make out like he's doing no work. He makes jokes and does impressions (although usually pretty quietly) but he's still there every day until 6 or 7.

Cox (I mentioned her before...) keeps herself to herself, but drinks a lot of tea (only really noticeable because she has to keep going to Starbucks to get it)

Scientist has post-its all over her desk. She only ever takes breaks of about 10 minutes, and she looks terrified every time she can't find something in a text book. She also, I have noticed, always wears matching clothes. By this point almost everybody else lives in jeans and a hoody, or a tracksuit, or something similarly no-thought-involved-ish. But she still coordinates! Ah well, priorities I suppose...

Everybody is becoming more territorial. Everybody is working longer hours. Everybody is looking a little more harrowed with every minute that passes... and I've just wasted 30 mins sat out here trying to get it out of my system.... hmmmm

No comments: