Wednesday 16 April 2008

Misinformation

My pet hate (always really, but especially now when stuff is getting on my nerves) is misinformation. I am well aware that the media blow everything out of proportion, but some of the things I care most about are completely misunderstood because of the utter tripe spouted by the popular press, and people's fear.

Some of the BIG things that annoy me at the moment are people not understanding:
  • Evolution (seriously, I have no bones with creationists - but when the vast majority of the Christian world sees Genesis as allegorical it doesn't help us if you just write off Evolution as "monkey business" or something. By all means provide a theological reason why you can't square with it - but implying that it's a big conspiracy theory is ridiculous)
  • Christianity (in particular people who misunderstand the nature of the Gospels, people who misunderstand the church's stance on homosexuality, and people who just write off the whole life style without having a clue what it's about. By all means be an atheist. By all means tell me that religion is for you and that you don't need to read the Bible to know you don't believe in God. That's fine. What's NOT fine is telling me that I'm stupid and that the whole thing is incongruous when you haven't got a clue what it's about!)
  • Genetic Modification (of crop plants) (Once you put a gene in a plant it is NOT coming out, it is NOT going into any other plant and it is NOT going to kill you)

I feel some more "Misunderstanding" blog posts coming on...

No comments: