Wednesday 27 February 2008

I think the word you're looking for is "thank-you".

For the last 2 or 3 weeks, this has been my constant mantra.

I think the word that you're looking for is "thank-you".

Not aloud, obviously. But all the time I notice it. The people I hold doors open for, or step off the pavement to allow past, or do some crazy manoeuvre on my bike to avoid. The lack of basic manners in the British public is really starting to annoy me. It especially annoys me around the department and the university, when it's fellows and members of teaching staff. I'm aware that being an academic doesn't mean that you automatically sprout a tumour that gives you good manners: but you'd think that some of the smartest minds in the world could have a bit of common courtesy.

It also means that when somebody does say thank-you, or sorry, or tells me to have a nice day that it comes as a bit of a shock, and may leave me smiling for up to an hour. Odd that.

No comments: